Phenote is both a complete piece of software and a software toolkit designed to facilitate the annotation of biological phenotypes using ontologies. It provides an interface and infrastructure to record genotype-phenotype pairs, together with the provenance for the annotation. Typical users of Phenote include literature curators, laboratory researchers, and clinicians looking for a method to record data in a user-friendly and computable way.
Annotations recorded by Phenote are based on the EQ model for representing phenotypes, combining entities from any ontology with qualities (such as PATO).
- Spreadsheet-like interface
- Type-ahead-suggest (autocompletion) for terms within ontologies
- Use of any OBO-format ontology (or OWL->OBO converted)
- Ontology navigation and all-in-one term information display
- Bulk copy/edit/delete/sort of phenotype-genotype character entries
- Excel-compatible output format (tab-delimited)
- Additional export formats: phenosyntax, xml
- Configurable input fields to allow custom data entry and user-specified ontologies
- Preconfigurations available for different communities
- Easy to customize your own configuration